Want to join our team?
We are an organization of animal lovers that offer dog training services including basic classes, dog sports, private training and behaviour consulting, and facility rentals.
We’re looking for enthusiastic people to learn about dog training and help us run classes smoothly.
Classroom Volunteer Apprentice Trainer
This is a great way to get involved in dog training classes and learn about working with people and their dogs. This position is a part-time commitment of a few hours a week in the evenings and/or on weekends; you would need to be able to attend classes 3–4 hours once or twice a week on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday nights, and/or Saturday mornings.
This position starts off as volunteer — you trade your time helping us set up and take down the room, and helping with general classroom management, and we share our expertise. Most of our volunteers work their way into paid positions with SmartDog.
The successful candidate(s) will:
- Have excellent people skills
- Be a learning-oriented problem solver and able to function in a sometimes hectic environment
- Have good motor skills and coordination
- Be able to lift and move things like floor matting, tables, chairs, and training equipment
- Have previous experience working with dogs; past participants of our program and/or online equivalent learning (karenpryor, jeandonaldson, fenzi) is a bonus
- Be interested in working with force-free, reward-based animal training methodologies
- Teaching or people coaching experience preferred
Please send resume and cover letter to Sherry Antonishen at email@example.com.